Friday, March 30, 2012

Is VB.net required on rendering server?

I have VB.net, SQL Server 2000, and SRS installed on my development computer.
I can create and test reports just fine on my computer.
However, I have to go through a third party for them to install SQL SRS on
our web server. They installed SQL SRS with a warning about VB.net not being
present. They are unable to render any reports (sample or otherwise).
Is VB.net required on the web server running SQL Server 2000 development and
SQL SRS development?
Are there step-by-step instructions for this type of installation that I can
provide to our web server team?
Thank you!VS (the warning specifies visual studio not VB.Net) is just a warning that
it will not be installing the development tools. The development tools
require some edition of Visual Studio (VB.Net being the most common that
people install). The server does not require it. If you install and accept
defaults in most cases you should be fine. I have found that my install does
better when I install running as System not as network account. The most
common reasons people have trouble with an install is installing on a domain
controller or moving the webs created after install. RS is a set of
applications that depend on configuration information on where things are
installed. If the webs are not the default website then you can end up in a
situation where RS cannot find things. It is not just web pages that you can
move without a problem. Another issue is enabling anonymous access (but
things would come up you would just not have any adminstrative
functionality).
I suggest seeing if they have done any of the above.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Owen Ott" <Owen Ott@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D01CB0F4-91BB-4012-9928-B2C1B93B8F7E@.microsoft.com...
>I have VB.net, SQL Server 2000, and SRS installed on my development
>computer.
> I can create and test reports just fine on my computer.
> However, I have to go through a third party for them to install SQL SRS on
> our web server. They installed SQL SRS with a warning about VB.net not
> being
> present. They are unable to render any reports (sample or otherwise).
> Is VB.net required on the web server running SQL Server 2000 development
> and
> SQL SRS development?
> Are there step-by-step instructions for this type of installation that I
> can
> provide to our web server team?
> Thank you!sql

No comments:

Post a Comment