Wednesday, March 28, 2012

is this the best way to backup more than one database

I am setting up a DTS so that we can backup each of the database, is this the best way to back up each of the mdf & ldf files to another server? cheers

EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'cc_150_chg', '\\homer\db_backups$\cc_150_chg.mdf'
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'cc_150_chg_admin', '\\homer\db_backups$\cc_150_chg_admin.mdf'
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'cc_150_chg_Log', '\\homer\db_backups$\cc_150_chg_log.ldf'
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'cc_150_chg_admin_log', '\\homer\db_backups$\cc_150_chg_admin.ldf'
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'cc_153', '\\homer\db_backups$\cc_153.mdf'
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'cc_153_log', '\\homer\db_backups$\cc_153.ldf'
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'cc_153_admin', '\\homer\db_backups$\cc_153_admin.mdf'
EXEC

This will form part of the step in 'command line'?

Cheers
EWhy don't you just backup to a file?|||backup all the database to a file? How can I do this? also do i need to specifiy all the databases individually by backuping both mdf & ldf files?|||Backup each database to a separate file. You don't need to back up the log files (ldf) unless you need point-in-time restore.|||You don't need to back up the log files (ldf)

You're fired|||alll sorted!!!!1thanx|||OK Brett, YOU explain the whole concept of log files to him! I got actual work I gotta do today.

...or just point him to Books Online...

:)|||OK Brett, YOU explain the whole concept of log files to him! I got actual work I gotta do today.

...or just point him to Books Online...

:)

Settle down...

Hey, there's a first time for everything, too

OR, I could just post Tara's blog

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/category/95.aspx

I think I've stolen most of that...

Let me ask...when was the last time, aside from testing contingency, that you had to do a restore, and have to reapply all of the logs?

I don't remeber...had to be 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment