Friday, March 30, 2012

is vb.net 2003 compatible with sql server express?

I have vb.net 2003 standard installed on my xp home edition computer. I downloaded sql server express(which works) and tried to establish a connection through vb.net but could not. I used the server name I made from sql server express in the data link properties of vb.net 2003 and used the northwind database but it would not connect. Gave an error I can't recall because vb.net hangs up. Are the 2 compatible? If so, how do I go about establishing a connection between the 2? If they are not compatible, what will I need? An upgrade to vs 2005? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

They are compatible. What error did you receive?|||

".....unable to connect and that
this version of Visual Studio can only use the SQL Server Desktop Edition and
MS Access as data sources....".

This is the error I receive.

Thanks,

Andy

|||

Sorry, what I meant by compatible is that in code you are able to connect to SQL Server Express.

It looks like via the database tools in Visual Studio Standard, it isn't compatitble.

No comments:

Post a Comment